Here at Southeast Van Lines, we strive to make your move a stress-free experience. Besides providing great service, competitive prices, and safe transport of your valuable possessions, we’d also love to share with you the following friendly tips to help prepare for your move. If you break up the process into weekly tasks, that will help keep things more manageable. We hope this moving checklist provides some valuable guidance, and we wish you luck with your upcoming move!
7-8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Call to schedule your free estimate and visual survey of your home
- Make sure to disclose all items you’d like moved in order to receive an accurate quote
- Understand your rights and responsibilities. Make sure that you inquire about appropriate insurance coverage, and check your homeowners’ policy to see what you already have.
- Determine if you’ll be packing yourself or using our packing services
- Start a file for your move to keep all relevant paperwork together
- List businesses that you’ll need to notify of address change, and remember your online accounts too. Banks, utilities, credit cards, phone companies, cable and internet. You know the drill!
6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Start getting things together for packing. See if you have clothing or other items hiding in closets that can be donated to charity or sold online. How about a garage sale next weekend too?
- Pack clothes and gadgets that aren’t frequently word or used to get ahead of the curve.
- If you’ve got kids, make sure you inquire about transferring their school records if needed. Also check on switching to new banks, doctors, etc.
4-5 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Don’t buy too much at the grocery store! Start working through your pantry and freezer to minimize waste once moving day comes.
- Let your friends and family know where you’re heading. Send out new address and contact info with a quick e-mail blast, or even an old-fashioned moving announcement.
- If you are doing the packing yourself, it’s time to start gathering packing supplies such as boxes, tape, labels, box cutters, and more. If some items need special attention, make sure you order the appropriate types of bags and boxes now.
- Be organized! Label boxes properly, color code rooms, keep an inventory, make a packing schedule.
- File an official change of address with the USPS
- Schedule vacation days as needed for the move. Consider a sitter for the kids during the final push.
2-3 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Check in with us to see if your quote needs to change based on inventory of items to move, extra packing supplies, or extra pickup/delivery locations. If we’re handling auto transport for you, confirm that service now too.
- Isolate and keep safe important documents, valuables, jewelry and small heirlooms. Plan to transport these yourself, or use a trackable and insured method of shipping.
- Evaluate condition of your most valuable items. Document with pictures/video.
- Start preparing large appliances for the move. Defrost, disconnect, etc.
- Make sure you’re staying on your packing schedule!
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Schedule utilities to cut off the day AFTER moving day, and likewise have new home turned on the day BEFORE.
- Dispose of flammables that cannot make the trip such as paint and aerosol cans. Make a final trip to donation centers with leftover clothes and other items.
- Get your office/computer/online information backed up properly and have a plan to access internet during the moving period.
- Make sure the family packs extra clothes and toiletries.
- Arrange for transport of pets and plants, and ensure your pets are set for inoculations if moving out of state.
- Check in for final confirmation with our crews. Plan for a quick cleanup after the move to leave your old house in good order for the new owners.
- Get ready to say goodbye to your old home and get excited for what’s to come!