If you’re getting ready for a big move, no doubt you’re likely feeling some pressure thinking about how you’re going to get it all done between the packing, organizing, setting up new accounts, etc. While there is no magic solution to make that all go away, some stress free moving tips would surely help. Another important factor is working with a trusted, reliable moving company that will stick by their promises and not spring any extra charges on you. Here in metro Atlanta, Southeast Van Lines strives to be that honest moving service by trying to make the move as smooth an experience as we can. With competitive quotes that won’t change after you’ve accepted the bid, crews carefully trained to treat your valuable possessions as their own, and a full range of moving services from packing supplies to car transport, we do everything in our power to take pressure of our clients’ moves. But beyond packing and loading items securely and efficiently, we thought we’d share some stress free moving tips to make sure you and your family stay on track with every aspect of the process leading up to the big day. We hope you enjoy this list as a guideline to keep you focused and on schedule.
7-8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Call to get a quote and visual survey of the items you’re planning to move
- Be thorough when meeting the estimator, as the quote can change if additional items are included at a later time.
- Verify that movers have proper insurance, and check your own homeowner’s policy to see if they might offer coverage too.
- Consider if you’ll have time to pack, or if you might want packing services
- Keep all relevant paperwork for your move and moving company in one file
- Start preparing to move over addresses with businesses, accounts, postal service, etc.
6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Start gathering items for packing, and consolidate/donate to charity or have a yard sale!
- Get a head start by packing away seasonal or rarely used items.
- Make sure you’re prepared to transfer school and medical records for you and the family.
4-5 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Start being frugal with groceries. Don’t buy long-term items, and dig into that freezer.
- Start notifying friends and family of your new address. E-mail will do, or be old-fashioned with paper announcements to really get people’s attention.
- Start gathering packing supplies such as boxes, tape, labels, box cutters, unless you’ve hired out the service. Also, order special sized bags and boxes if needed.
- STAY ORGANIZED! Label things by color, room, whatever it takes. This will make unpacking infinitely less stressful.
- File your official USPS change of address.
- Make sure you’ve got vacation days scheduled, and possibly a sitter for the kids to help keep you free on the final day or two prior to moving.
2-3 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Confirm your initial and mention any inventory changes if you’re moving more or less items, needing extra supplies, or adding auto transport.
- Set aside your most valuable and important items and documents. Do not send these in the moving truck! There are no stress free moving tips to alleviate losing some of these items, so don’t risk it.
- Document the condition of items to be moved with pictures and video.
- Prepare unneeded large appliances to move such as deep freezers.
- Don’t forget to keep plugging away at packing. Work down to bare essentials.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Make certain utilities will stay on until a day after you’ve moved, and also have them ready and functioning at least a day before you arrive at the new house or apartment.
- Donate remaining unwanted clothes and items as you see fit. Gather and dispose of flammable items and chemicals that cannot be packed and shipped. Maybe your neighbor needs some paint thinner?
- Backup all important office and online documents, and prepare to be without home internet during the move. Inquire with your cell provider about mobile hotspot options if you haven’t already.
- Pack extra clothes and toiletries for you and the kids during the move.
- Make sure pets are up to date on shots, and plants are secured for moving.
- Final confirmation with the moving company on all details of the move. Plan on a brief cleaning after we’ve moved all items out.
- Bid a fond farewell and look forward to your exciting new location!